Merrill Community Schools participates in the National School Lunch program and School Breakfast program. Our district receives money and some donated commodity food items from the government for all reimbursable meals served to students. Reimbursement is received for free, reduced and even full pay student meals. We use the offer vs. serve method which allows students to choose what they would like to eat and helps to eliminate waste.
Daily Food Components Offered to Students
- Grains (most are whole grain rich)
- Protein (meat/meal alternative)
- Fruit (fresh or diced and chilled)
- Vegetable (fresh and diced)
- Milk (1% white, fat free chocolate or fat free strawberry). Preschool may only have 1% white.
- A student must take three items of the 4 components offered. One item of the 3 must be a ½ cup of fruit or vegetable.
- Preschool – 3 components are offered. Students do not have a requirement to take any certain items.
- A student must choose a minimum of 3 of the 5 food components offered. One component of the 3 must be a ½ cup of fruit or vegetable.
- Preschool – serves meals family style in their classroom. Students are offered 4 components and do not have a requirement to take any certain items.
As a school community, we believe in the importance of cultivating creative compassionate leaders prepared for lifelong success by fostering the intellectual, emotional, and physical well being of each individual.